The earth is a beautiful home to live with an atmosphere which is conducive for life and the temperature range that allows for the three state of water (solid, liquid and gas). But these life sustaining substances come at a price.
18 Amazing Facts About Earth
- The name of all the continents end with the same letter with which they start, excluding the North and the South in front of America.
- The water of Antarctica is so cold that nothing can rot there.
- The Amazon rain forest produces more than 20% of world oxygen supply.
- The Sahara desert expands about 1 km per month.
- The North Atlantic gets 2.5 cm wider every year.
- The average ice berg weighs 20,000,000 tons!
- Forest fires spread faster uphill than downhill.
- Europe is the only continent without a desert.
- A volcano has enough power to shoot ash as high as 50km into the atmosphere.
- Due to the gravitational effects, you weigh slightly less when the moon is overhead.
- 10 of the tributaries flowing into the Amazon river are as big as the Mississippi river.
- One cubic miles of seawater contains about 25kg of gold.
- On the average, 20,000 earthquakes located each year, world wide.
- Plates carrying the continents migrate over the earth's surface a few centimeters per year, about the same speed that a fingernail grows.
- There is zero gravity at the centre of the earth.
- A Storm officially becomes hurricane when cyclone winds reach 119km/h.
- Earth is slowing down - in few million years there won't be a leap year.
- About 500 small meteorites fall to the earth every year but most fall in the sea in un-populated areas. There is no record of a person being killed by the meteorite but it to believe that the animals are occasional hit.